Monday, July 18, 2016

#ComedyBookWeek Interview with Author K.L. Phelps



Welcome to #ComedyBookWeek! This week I'll be highlight some fabulously funny authors and their books. If you love funny books and want to check out the other events going on during this week go here.

My first guest is mystery writer K.L. Phelps. I recently read his hilarious paranormal cozy mystery, Mind If I Come In, and loved it. My review of the book will be up tomorrow, but, for now, here's the author himself!

 K.L. Phelps never wanted to be a cop, fireman or baseball player. He fell in love with books at a very early age and (aside from the summer of 1977 when he wanted to be Luke Skywalker) he never wanted to be anything other than a writer. Somehow he took a left when he should have gone right (or write) and spent 17+ years as an oncology nurse. He is now back to pursuing his childhood dream. Thriller, suspense, mysteries, paranormal, humor/comedy, there are very few genres that don't interest him and he intends to take a crack at them all.

1.          Why did you choose to write comedy?
 I didn't, not consciously. Until I started writing Mind If I Come In all of my work had been on the serious side. I'd written several 'serious' books in multiple genres, but so far I've only published one of those. And the truth is that when I originally started work on Mind If I Come In I thought it was going to be a serious story. However it didn't the characters very long to make it blatantly obvious that this wouldn't be like anything I had ever written before. Since then I've discovered that I really enjoy writing humor, though I still have an interest in writing 'serious' stories in almost every genre.
  
2.       Describe your main character.
 Kat Parker is a sweet, snarky, and somewhat naive woman who recently developed psychic abilities that allow her to communicate with coma victims.

3.       Who would you choose to play that character in the movie or television version?
 When I first started writing Kat I envisioned her as a young Sandra Bullock. And as much as I still love Sandra, she's probably not up for playing a 20-something anymore. So now I'd say Jennifer Lawrence. Seriously, she's a heck of an actress and I have no doubt she could nail Kat's character.

4.       Who is your favorite funny author?
 Tough question. I really like Dave Barry, Tim Dorsey, Terry Pratchett, and Douglas Adams just to name a few, but I would definitely say I've been influenced, at least as far as my Kat Parker books are concerned, by Janet Evanovich and her Stephanie Plum series. 

5.       Do you have any advice for other authors?
 Most days I feel like I barely know what I'm doing, so I'm not sure I am in any position to give advice to anyone.

6.     What's next for you/your series?
 There are so many genres I wish to/intend to explore, so I'm not entirely sure which genre I'll be working on next. Perhaps Sci-fi or fantasy, each of which I'd like to tackle in both serious and humorous fashion.
 As for what's next for the Kat Parker series, Sins of the Father was the 6th book in the series and I still have plenty of ideas for future volumes. There are plenty of questions/relationships left to explore. 

7.     If you could live anywhere, where would that be?
 Specific geographical location? No clue, but I love water so I'd love to live on the beach or in the woods near a lake. I also happen to be a Disney fanatic, but I don't think they'd let me live in the parks.

8.    If you could choose a super power, what would that be?
 I'm a huge comic book nerd so it's an incredibly tough choice, but I would absolutely love the ability to fly.

K'L's books will be on sale this week. The sale prices will be: 

Mind If I Come In (Kat Parker Book 1) free from July 18-22 
Talking with the Dead (Kat Parker Book 2) on sale for 1.99 from July-17-23
Stormy Weathers on sale for 0.99 from July 17-23


 On a recent trip to Vegas, Katrina Parker really crapped out. Married, widowed, and with no memory of either event, Kat suddenly develops the ability to communicate with comatose people. But what happens in Vegas doesn't always stay there -- especially when it comes to the supernatural. Even back in Houston, trouble still haunts her.

After agreeing to try to help the coma-stricken daughter of a mob boss, Kat discovers the assault that placed the poor girl in the hospital was only the beginning. Aided by her amnesic vampire housemate, a former Vegas detective, a spunky turtle, and a man who may or may not have a neck, Kat vows to discover who is behind it all ... before she becomes the next victim.






No comments:

Post a Comment