Friday, July 22, 2016

#ComedyBookWeek Interview with Author Ana Spoke



My final #ComedyBookWeek is author Ana Spoke. Her hilarious screwball comedy, Shizzle, Inc, will be my last book review. Yep, I'm saving the best for last. :)

BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/1534858
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/14260090.Ana_Spoke
Twitter: @spokeana



     Ana Spoke used to write dry, scientific gibberish, including approximately 1.3 dissertations. These days she writes humor books, such as Shizzle, Inc and Indiot, the first two installments in Isa Maxwell's series. She also manages #ComedyBookWeek, the annual online celebration of humor in writing.


She lives in Australia with her fiance and a rare fat Italian Greyhound, but you can always find her on anaspoke.com





1.              Why did you choose to write comedy?
Comedy chose me, I’m afraid. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve always had hard time being serious. I’ve tried to write poetry, but it came out sarcastic. I’ve tried to write a dystopian drama, but it sounded like a spoof. I can’t even stop myself from cracking jokes in meetings in my “serious” job. Comedy feels natural, plus I have too much fun writing, and that’s the secret to sticking with your craft – enjoy the process.

2.              Describe your main character.
Isa Maxwell is a naïve 20-year old, who is struggling with entering the adult life, pressure of having to “make it” somehow, the pain of being dumped, and the fear of being discovered as a fraud. She is a caricature of the person we all have inside us, but often are afraid to show to the world – the scared inner self who longs to be loved and accepted, yet is anxious and riddled with guilt.

3.              Who would you choose to play that character in the movie or television version?
I’d love for Amy Schumer to play her, but I’d love even more if some unknown, young, and talented woman could bring Isa into existence.

4.              Who is your favorite funny author?
I have loved a few “classics”, such as Russian Ilf and Petrov. I’m always open to new authors, and, to my surprise and joy, I have discovered one as part of #ComedyBookWeek. I’m currently reading There’s Been a Change of Plans by Amy Koko and laughing at every page.

5.              Do you have any advice for other authors?
Yes, lots of it. I publish a blog on anaspoke.com with weekly updates on things I’ve learned as a self-published author, especially when it comes to marketing your books. If I had to summarise it into one word or sentence, it would be: persevere. Right now is an amazing time to be an author, and you will see your books in print, if you have a goal, a plan, and stick to a daily work ethic.

6.              What’s next for you/your series?
I’m currently working on the third instalment of Isa Maxwell series. I’m also very excited about #ComedyBookWeek and will devote the next year to making 2017 event a big, bright, funny splash.

7.              If you could live anywhere, where would that be?
A tropical island. It’s winter here, in Australia, which means miserable daily rain and even more miserable wind. It’s hard to be funny when you’re freezing at all times.

8.              If you could choose a super power, what would that be?
Reading minds. Or flying. Or healing hands. For now, I can make people laugh – and I’m pretty happy with that superpower.


You can connect with Ana through:



Here's her book, Shizzle, Inc.


No comments:

Post a Comment